Radio 9 de Julho is a Brazilian radio station in the city of Sao Paulo belonging to the Archdiocese of Sao Paulo, operating at 1600 kHz with a power of 100 kW.
Radio 9 de Julho was created in 1953 at 540 kHz on an experimental basis, but it went on the air in 1956. The station, with its medium waves, and especially short waves, reaches all of Brazil and other places in Europe through the frequency of 9820 kHz.
In November 1973, Radio 9 de Julho transmitters were sealed by decree of President Emílio Garrastazu Medici.
With the beginning of the re-democratization of Brazil, in 1985 the attempt to reestablish Radio 9 de Julho began. The then Minister of Communications could only offer an 880 kHz signal in Cotia, which did not reach until the capital of Sao Paulo, which is why it was rejected by the Archdiocese. In 1990, the average wave range was expanded to 1600 and 1700 kHz. In 1993, Bishop Mauro Morelli asked the president of the time, Itamar Franco, to return Radio 9 de Julho.
On May 31, 1995, deputy Helio Bicudo filed a lawsuit at the Ministry of Communications reopening the 1985 lawsuit.
On July 9, 1996, in a ceremony attended by the then governor of Sao Paulo, Mario Covas and then Minister of Communications, Sergio Motta, President Fernando Henrique Cardoso annulled the 1973 decree and gave the frequency 1600 kHz to Fundaçao Metropolitana Paulista. The following year, Radio 9 de Julho's new project began.
Radio 9 de Julho went on the air on March 19, 1999 on an experimental basis. The broadcaster was finally reopened on October 23, 1999.