Radio Piekary Description:
Radio Piekary a regional radio station that enjoys the greatest popularity and audience in the Silesian agglomeration. According to research, more than a million inhabitants listen to the station weekly. The air is dominated by works of Polish and foreign music as well as Silesian music. Radio Piekary also widely promotes Silesian culture.
The first Radio Club in Piekary was founded in 1926. For all these years, the hams were very dynamic. On the initiative of Ginter Kupka, Janusz Dodolski and Stanisław Prokop operating in the Radio Club, in 1994 an experimental radio was launched, broadcasting the program in the field of ultra-short waves. Thanks to the support of the City Board and City Council, a license was applied for for Radio Piekary. As a result of formal, legal and organizational efforts, immediately after receiving the license (October 16, 1996), on October 17, 1996 at 15.15 the radio started broadcasting regular programs.
In 2009, the radio station was the laureate of the Wojciech Korfanty.